Sunday, November 11, 2012

world, interrupted.



I will never understand
Why I have to worry from miles away
That my little brothers aren’t safe
That my parents might fade away
Like they’ve been left out in the sun too long
Because the world doesn’t wade in darkness
It jumps straight in
Owning up to sin
It sharpens its pins
Like pencils
Until we’ve all got lead poisoning
From all of the overly erased plans we’ve read
And the No. 2 point blank shit we’re fed
I will never understand
Why I answered the phone to a frantic mother
Informing me that my sister’s middle school
Was swarmed by police cars
Reds and blues
Because three young men were planning a mass murder for the Halloween dance
Just by chance
My mother went to pick up her daughter early
Because her instincts were somewhere between full and empty
And the officers pushed her away with no information
Because let’s face it
All they want is some action
even if it means lost futures and bloody basketball courts
 I will never understand
Why 2 weeks later
I picked up the phone to the same frantic mother
Saying that my family had spent the afternoon in a hostile situation
In communication with the police station
When they were supposed to be at the dollar movies
But that everything was ok
Because they
An average family of five minus me
Were just driving down Menaul
Just headed to the mall
For some weekend nonsense
When a man began to make his steering wheel do a dance of death
Each gyration tumbled lanes
Selfish
Because he didn’t care that no one else could hear the music
And as my mom called in a harmless report
They pulled up their station wagon next to his
In a red light exchange
And then turned heads
For a red light exchange
As the man held up a gun
With the barrel staring down my mother
Only the glass tinted windows separating them from each other
Did he know that she has three kids
And a daughter away at school
That our family might be one of the only ones left
Not succumb to divorce statistics or dysfunctionalism
Did he know that his gun staring at my mother
Was the nastiest look he could’ve given
To someone hundreds of miles away
Because he
A selfish asshole
Could’ve ended her life today
He could’ve taken everything from my family
Those three young boys
Could’ve killed my little girl
Because they were too cowardly to ask her to the fucking dance instead
There would’ve been baby doll futures with bullets in their heads
I will never understand
Why we live interrupted
Because no one in this goddamn world can finish their fucking sentence
The only way we can function is by interjecting, interrupting
And ending abruptly
The only way we can survive is to make sure someone else is half alive
Though we know nothing about them
I refuse to let my generation
Continue in the quest to obliterate fullness
I will never understand
Why the world lives in fragments.

No comments:

Post a Comment