Sunday, November 11, 2012

Queen.



I am the queen of the friend zone
I am Watts from Some Kind of Wonderful
I am Goofy to Mickey and Minnie Mouse
I am Duckie Dale to Andie Walsh
(that’s from Pretty in Pink, by the way, and if you haven’t seen it you’re a certifiable shithead)
And I only know that reference because
I spend my weekends on dates
With Jake Ryan, Lloyd Dobbler, and Ferris Bueller
I am the kind of girl who’s a great listener
But not in the Labrador dog kind of way
I’ll memorize everything about you
From your traumatic 5th grade hair cutting incident
To the pattern of your lucky boxers
And at the end of the conversation
I’ll go in for a big hug and
You’ll punch me in the arm
And say
Thanks friend, you’re so great friend, I’m so glad I have I have friend like you, friend
And then I’ll jump on my bed re-enacting Taylor Swift’s music video for you belong with me
I’ll watch Titanic in 3D
I’ll have a threesome with Ben & Jerry
And then I’ll go back again tomorrow
Even though
You’ve highlighted my name
In my neon yellow shame
As “the friend”
Because you have defined me just like Lizzie McGuire defined Gordo
You have defined me like a cat in a dog show
Because to you I am
The girl who pays for your food, tells you you’re rude
Practically dresses you and acts like a dude
And yet you strategically pigeon hole
And look right past me toward a false goal
You can kick that soccer ball but honey
You’re kicking it to the wrong team
Because she is way out of your league
And so am I
Even though you see me as a bro
I don’t want to fart with you, ok?
That’s never been fun to me
I hate playing Halo
Because I have to concentrate
And sometimes I feel like
You’re the one who menstruates
Because your male-pattern mood swings
Drive me up the wall
Because I could name each girl by complaint
I’ve heard it all
Because you don’t even see how much I tolerate
Each time you verbally masturbate
By saying the same thing over and over and over again
Because it makes YOU feel good
Newsflash! The rest of us just think you’re disgusting
Because you refuse to let it go
And look at what’s right in front of you
I may not be boobless blondie
But try, for once, to see what I can be
Because I have been loyal to you when you weren’t to me
If you read off my resume
You’d find a perfect compliment to your theory
And I as I run into your arms
While it rains
Under a sunset
In Puerto Rico
On a Wednesday
With the wind in our hair
And you’re a little taller than me
And your facial hair’s growing out
And you look a little more like Johnny Depp than usual
You’ll pick me up
And kiss me and we’ll run away happily
Despite the fact that
None of this can happen because before we even touch
A force field would knock me to the ground
Because I am locked out
By the friend zone
So I’ll be here on my own
And hope that you find some other pals to cry to
As for me, I’ve got a hot date with Anthony Michael Hall and a cannoli
And I’ll rule proudly from my throne
As you whine and you drone
And I’ll continue to spend Friday nights alone because honestly
I don’t know why I wanted to be with you in the first place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment