Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Race.



Race: 1. A competition between runners, horses, vehicles, boats, etc., to see which is the fastest in covering a set course.
2. Each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.
I hate races
I am tired of running
I have hated it since the days of laps around the sixth grade track
Because in the end it only leaves me
Breathless
Because I wish to keep my opinions to myself
Even though you trash talk like it’s for your own health
I digress
While you rest on an issue related argument to define you
One issue
While I would rather walk the track
Because if you win the race it will be because you took a shortcut through the mud
 And slung some on the way
I hate races
Because we feel like we must assimilate mathematics
In our schematics
That division must always be a common denominator
While common ground and love always cancel out
We’d rather live in doubt of who we are
Because of what someone else says about how we are painted
About how the color of our skin makes us overrated
Or outdated
Or hated
Because whenever there’s a race involved
Someone always has to win
Bathing in their sin
Scathing in their skin
Because they’d rather win
Than play by the golden rule
Because the things that separate us are the things that degrade us
We could be the nation we’ve always wanted to be
if we’d just take a minute to listen
There’s nothing explicit about believing in something
 I cast my vote
I played my game
I placed my bet
I showed my shame
And yet I’m damn glad it’s over
Because I’m ready to wash my hands
Need some orbit for the dirty mouths
need someone to understand
that a political opinion
is not all I possess
but I know what I believe in
and I know progress
I’m proud of what I chose
Of my politic prose
And as for those who’ve got a problem
Keep your complaints in comfort
Because my ears are sacred
Against American hatred.

No comments:

Post a Comment