Saturday, November 3, 2012

Want Ad



I am looking for a guy
Who will look me in the eye
Who won’t clothe himself in lies
Who will catch every fly I throw
I know
This is a deafening mission
Because in all reality
We are somebody’s needle in their own giant haystack
I am the girl
Who spends $20 on books she doesn’t need
I am the girl
Who never eats but always feeds
I am the girl
Who marches Doc Martens and clearance dresses
With short red tresses
And lush red lipstick
And musical red blood that comes through my heart like Grand Central
Because I
Am the girl
Who keeps loneliness
Like debt
While collectors beat down my door for the nothing I have
I never pick up tabs
Because I am a penny lover
With nothing more to give than my two cents
Even though my heart is rich in every sense
I am looking for a guy
Who won’t laugh when I reply
Can I pay in change?
Because people change
And rearrange
And feng shui
Like we’re all furniture
Never permanently placed
I am looking for a guy
Who loves Jesus and Friends re-runs
Whose smile gets me undone
Who can get me dancing with one touch of a fingertip
His words drip down his strawberry lip
As he grinds wine poetry
We’re in synergy
As we break out in a living room duet
I’m just looking for respect
Because I’ve always gone from place to place
Week to week
And now I’m just weak to weak
All I seek
Is love that doesn’t live in cardboard boxes
Or charge expensive rent
 I want somewhere to stay
Not somewhere I can say
I just went
And came back
I want stacks of other people’s demands
So I can compare mine to theirs and see what I’m doing wrong
I want love songs
Played on out of tune guitars
And someone to share sunrises and moonsets with
I finish fifth
Instead of first
But I will be reimbursed
Because I have worked this hard
Gotten this far
There’s gotta be someone
Because
I am the girl
Who doesn’t give up
Don’t make decisions in Solo cups
I am the girl
Who’s looking for a guy
Hope he’ll reply
When I write poems in the sky
And the stars start to dream for me
I’ll keep storming
Until he sees
So please
Don’t penalize me for paying in pennies
Because all I’ve got to give
Is my two cents
Even though my heart is rich in every sense**

No comments:

Post a Comment