Saturday, November 3, 2012

68 songs.



I am 68 songs
My feet hit the floor and earth greets my toes
Good Morning Starshine, the earth says hello
As if to say we missed you while you were sleeping
I brush my teeth with melodies each morning
And wrap my tongue around lyrics
Strong. Like mint.
Because I am a mix tape
68 songs
Because 69 would be dirty
Each line delicately describes what any man might get himself into
By simply saying I want to know you
Because in one meet cute
He’d be mute as he listens to each song I play
I’d say today
I am Shania Twain as I dance on tables
And whip my hair
Man! I feel like a woman
Then I’d promptly shift gears
Music for more than ears
As I whisper Iron & Wine like lovers champagne
And my American mouth sends Flightless birds to the moon
He’d swoon
Like a boy with a coin
Then he’d realize that it’s that time of month as I change my selection
And begin to weep
All over my guitar and burn pictures
Because T-swift taught me how to tell any guy about your past love life
Because when he says “Why didn’t Taylor Swift ever think she might’ve been the problem?”
I’d say “She just ISN’T, OK?!”
My neurotic tendencies would take over as I turn into Joan Jett
Rock and Roll leaves no regrets
And I feel like a total badass
Even though on the inside
I’m a mainstream poser hipster
Because somebody made it uncool to like Ke$ha and Sufjan
Wish the stereotypes were gone
Because I am a woman in 68 songs
Clair de Lune writes out red sixteenth notes that course through my veins
While I live showtunes; no day but today
And I can’t help but sing Madonna every time I start to pray
Then I get my Christian rap on with a little Lecrae
I am a Mumford and Sons light lover
And a Christina Aguilera fighter
Riding in a Death Cab for Cutie
While I’m a Say Anything writer
I’ve got Bright Eyes
For an owl city
While James Blunt whines out how I’m more than pretty
I’m a city with bright lights
Sara Bareilles
As the Vegas lightposts bend down to say they’re jealous
I may not have 68 years
68 dreams
68 fears
Or 68 schemes
But I am 68 songs
A sacred playlist
And you’ll know me
If you just listen*

No comments:

Post a Comment