Sunday, November 11, 2012

I. Regular.



I have always been a side street away from normal
But I never knew it as a condition
Until the day the doctor’s clipboard
Labeled me like a prescription I didn’t ask for
Plastic bracelets slapped on wrists too many times to count
Reminding me of my own name in case I forget
In one of those small moments where my internal rhythm is absent
Because this seemed like a sentence to life on death row
Because it started with ‘no more caffeinated drinks or sleeping late’
And ended with bloody self portraits while just trying to get ready for school
My heart is romantic without being logical
Skips steps one through five
And goes to straight to six to get my fix of emotional ecstasy
Because it believes in romantic comedies
And Gyllenhall fantasies
And skips one beat
My heart is an army general
Ordering drum lines to play empty cadences
Because I feign for peace leaf victory
But skip the battle
If the other man knocked me down I’d stay on the ground
Because my heart is peaceful sound
And skips two beats
My heart is suicidal each time it cuts me from the inside
Because it won’t let me be normal for two seconds
And it fulfills the duties on its job application
By reminding me of feelings wasted
Each time it skips a beat
Irregular
i.                     Regular.
Ireg. Ular.
Me .
I live in this obscenity
With a heart that takes control of me
Until I finally found the beauty
My heart is a notebook filled with unlined paper
 and my blood beats through each line; an aortic rhythm.
 I am poet. Check my cardiology.
Because in each kilamanjaro line
You’ll only find
That I exist on irregular beats
That my flow comes from inside of me
Inward cardiology
That without irregularity
My rhymes would be common time
Because I possess a poet’s heartbeat
And beauty comes from
I.                    Regularity.

No comments:

Post a Comment