Thursday, October 18, 2012

Politic Sick

This poem is not meant to stir up trouble, however, I do feel that it does address important thoughts and opinions (that I fully own up to) in this current election season.

I am shriveled up on a page
knowing more than I should for my age
as my words lay lifeless
getting to the ballpoint
and the holepunched tree shed
makes its own bed
in 3 rings
I sit in a binder full of women
pushed there by the men's pen
because he claims its glory
inviting stories
Lord knows when he says agenda
he means everything except
an elementary calendar
Because I should know
I should know
I should know
my place
squeezed between others
in crowded kitchens
because the world's greatest minds
are sent to solve the sandwich shortage
potbelly politics
Hell, if opinion mattered
Budweiser would be on the ballot
because according to what's deemed constitutional concensus
My life is to be a wife
My life is to cook a meal
My life is to be a womb
yet control that too
to make something biologically impossible in me
deny motherhood
because I should just know
There's so much I should know
though no one's ever told me
Because my freedom is built on broken promises
Who I am governed to be
is determined by a pair of double d's
Because so quickly
Rosie the Riveter represents a joke
as we're given the choice between Playboy exploits or
hair curlers and a terry cloth cloak
Because in all of this,
who listens to a lady?
Because a woman's vote is 20
While a man's vote is 80
Right?
Or am I wrong about that?
Republican or Democrat
I refuse to vote for
someone who thinks I'm only worth what's in my pants
Because all of it, in any sense, is about who's screwed
whether it's them or you
I put my mouth where my money is
In God We Trust
unless they change that too
Ignorance or bust
Because as honest as I can be
on my opinions on democracy
the lesser of two evils is all I see
as I watch an argument of small children
Reality TV
as I channel flip to The Osbournes
so at least the bicker will be more entertaining
It's draining
I am politic sick
needing education vaccination
 a prescription to know more than I should
description of a world without good
So I'll exercise my voting right
since it's all I have
not sure what I'll be marking
sure about who I am
though to them I'm a number; part of a plan
when they ask why I'm fed up
Under breath
I'll say "At least I'm not a man"***

No comments:

Post a Comment