Sunday, October 21, 2012

Currency

I wish I was more than a lucky penny
that you stick in your pocket and forget about
because nothing is worth just one penny
I continue to burn a hole in your pocket
with your blue Bic lighter
every time you're tempted to let that penny sit
while you spend paper and accumulate more change
change for the poor
change for the broke
change for a coke
change for a smoke
you'll play quarters
till you're cornered with that copper Lincoln
dirty; so you're afraid to know
where it's been
ever wonder why we don't look at people the way we look at currency?
and currently
I sit in your thin charred pocket
currently
I sit in your version of a porcelain girl's locket
currently
I stare across the wallet at a copper face that's been
more places than me
New pennies are overrated
Because their sheen only means they're naive
about how it feels to be spent
to pay a bohemian rent
with no shame that you pay in change
because it's still monetary
though it doesn't seem necessary
you never pay with change
and you carry it like baggage
when I'm the bottom of the bag beggar
that's not begging you to spend
I just want you to see
that nothing's worth me*

No comments:

Post a Comment