Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What's In a Name?



My name is Gabriela Esperanza Yolanda Guajardo
Syllables proudly scrawled on scholarship applications
As my parents claimed they did it on purpose
Because they knew that someday I’d need to be Hispanic and poor
So that colleges would knock down my door
Claiming to help the quote-unquote “underprivileged youth”
Expecting to interview a girl with drawn on eyebrows and a bedazzled tooth
The best place to use the word uncouth
Because yes
Latina blood runs through my veins thick like fresh tomato chunked salsa
I am spicy like the jalapenos that stains nose hairs
Because potency is something I’ll never be bad at
I can remember Christmas tamales and Linda Ronstadt records
As I’d pretend I was full enough to cry to the moon the way she did
I was a Selena kid, what can I say?
I’d do the washing machine like my hips were made for the spin
And sing “Ay ay ay Como me duele”
Repeating lines like rosary prayers I never learned
Busty-caca-delamente! It’s a bra!
I suck at buying pants
Because much like Jennifer Lopez in Selena
This ass isn’t fake
People often mistake me
For a Kardashian from behind
My curves leave them blind
Because they can’t find an answer
Because my paperwork claims that I
Am a Spanish Queen of the desert
Wearing red and waving fans
Dancing flamenco like I was born in solea
Being raised on beans and tortillas
And born with two tongues
All the while
I am a redheaded white girl
I love Taylor Swift and chai tea
I read Ginsberg and write poetry
I wear converse shoes
And have barely built up enough a tolerance for green chile
I can’t dance
And beans are still a very musical fruit to me
I am latina but it’s not all I can be
Because I believe that my culture
Is me
A culture of my own
GiGi
I didn’t change my name because I was ashamed
Because I wear Angel of Hope like a creed
Tattooed on my heart
I changed my name because in those four letters
I am art
I am the best picture in the year 1958
I am whoever I create
Gabriela as my soul
GiGi as my fate
I am disappointed
In my lack of culture
As teachers call roll and expect me to answer in Spanish
Looking like ghosts when I raise my hand and claim my name
Wearing regular clothes and pink berets
I am no different
Yet I am glared at by bandana brothers
Who are sure I don’t deserve to wield heritage when I know nothing about it
Yet they were not there
On Saturday mornings
When the smell of oil and potatoes hit the pan
And my Granny
Would throw hot dogs in
Saying that this is what a real Mexicano eats
Because they were not there
When I explained to fourth grade friends
About Ninas and Ninos
And Uncle Nono
And how long it took me to keep them all straight
Because although I am not a Garcia or a Martinez
As common as Smith
I know this
My heart is Burquena at least
Though I laugh at Lynette
I know that I’ve called every soda Coke at one point and time
I know I always have a Burque state of mind
Because I may not go to every Lobos game or sing the national anthem for isotopes fame
But I am Gabriela Esperanza Yolanda Guajardo
And a person is not a name**

No comments:

Post a Comment