Sunday, December 9, 2012

For real this time.


I am lingering on a kiss
In an attempt to seem less teenage
Because in moments like this
My old soul and my young heart
Get tangled
Tripping each other
Coinciding power lines and lightning strikes
And I have lost service
Because with every daydream
I am rendered disconnected
Because my eyes paint themselves glassy
Unopened windows
Where anyone who might peer in
Can see a frenzy of feeling
Played in concertos
Of Chicago street choruses and
the faint swing of the zipper on your leather jacket
as it accompanies each move you make
because your hands began to paint me
extremeties covered in compliments I swore I’d never hear
as you hand crafted each description of me
and spelled it out letter by letter
My heart had its first birthday
As it began to grow with each new hope
That we could entwine fingers
like stitches
keeping everything together
and I was over joyed in that brief second
when we laughed because
you finally got to bite my bottom lip
like you’d dreamed about over morning coffee
and in that moment I realized
that your eyes were glazed like mine
I looked into windows
That were tinted the same shade
And I had to contain the fireworks
To make them a small burst
Because my soul and my heart had argued
Until the moment you kissed me
And reckless abandon
Had a nice ring to it
Your arms
Had space just for me
And your eyes
Could only take polaroids of my posture
Stars spoke sonnets in my ear
and your fingers drew constellations between shoulder blades
I lost and found myself 
in one brief existence of forever
as time proved its brevity
and I found myself writing love poetry
for real this time
because in a situation like this
I could over-metaphor a kiss
or I could simply state this
I found home in your smile
and peace when we were chest to chest
you held me like a rag doll you'd kept since you were a child
precious
for the first time in my life
 And I never wanted to leave**

No comments:

Post a Comment