Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Fingers Crossed



We are crossed fingers
Not meant for telling lies
But only to be close as
Rings sliding past knuckles
Cigarettes in-between
And pressed to soft lips
My hands are little
Fingernails like flowers
Baby daisies growing out of palms
Your hands like tall palm trees
Down long LA streets
At night
And we cross like fates
Like Hollywood & Vine
Because a woman isn’t always the muse
I am inspired
By crossed fingers
By crossed paths
By romeo and Juliet
Star-crossed lovers
Because I’m overly romantic
And love poems are always bad
Unless you’re in love
And hate poems are bad
Unless you’re breaking up
But I’m selfish with my pen
When it comes to you
As I hold the grip with crossed fingers
Imagining us like
Kindergarten fingerpainting
The messy mixing of colors
In heart shaped palettes
Legs twisting in tangos
Heartbeat to heartbeat
Making compound time
Counted on fingers
Crossed when hands kiss like lips
We are crossed fingers
Like yours when you left hoping
I was as pretty as you remember
Crossed fingers
Like mine when I wished for affirmation
That you were here
Crossed fingers
That we could meet halfway to
Cross our fingers together instead of
Alone in crazed hopes
Because it’s juvenile
When your heart beats pop songs
And walking feels like jump rope
But it IS juvenile
Because you’ve tripped and now
You’re falling
And all you can manage to do on the way down is cross your fingers**

No comments:

Post a Comment